Sailing weather is coming soon and I’ve been working on some improvements to the boat. I reshaped and leathered the boom/boom jaw connection so it doesn’t chip the varnish off the mast. I also added a little hook to the mast to keep the snotter from sliding down which puts a diagonal crease in the sail. http://sailingmoga.com/spars/
With the boom fixed, I tested the brail line to see how well it works. It’s ok, but there’s still room for improvement. http://sailingmoga.com/brail/
I’ve also been busy varnishing the brightwork and painting over the chips in the paint job. Exterior latex was a bad choice… Someday I need to figure out how to get it all off and redo it with some epoxy paint or something more substantial.
Today I added a page about my experiments with adding a brail line to the sail. I’ve also added a section to the menu at the top for some of the finer details of the boat. This will house pages for stuff that’s a little more specific and in depth than the stuff in the building drop down.
So I’ve got some time off for Christmas and I decided I should make a website to document my homemade sailboat and related travels. This project is just too big and wide ranging for a single page on my personal website, so I guess I’m now a blogger!
I’ve added a few sections at the top. One section for all the building pictures separated by category, and another for trips. So far I’ve only done short day trips, but if I do longer adventures, I might make a new section to house those articles.
I started building Moga in May of 2018, and launched her in June of 2019. I didn’t work on it much during the fall and winter as I was hunting or it was cold, so maybe 8-9 months of work.