The plans didn’t call for a coaming, but I decided to build one anyway out of some 3/4″ material. My Sunfish had one and it really helps keep water out of the boat. First I decided where I wanted the coaming to start and end. Then I used a piece of cardboard to capture the curve of the deck along those lines. Then I traced the curve onto the boards and jigsawed them to shape.

Next I tipped the coaming forward to an angle that looked good. I captured this angle with a bevel gauge so I could make the other one match. Next I set a pair of dividers to the width of the gap on the aft side and scribed a line along the forward side. Everything below this line has to be removed so the coaming will sit down flush on the deck.

Once I had the coaming pieces sitting at the right angle and flush, it was time to trim the ends so they meet up flush. Marking the bottom of the coamings was easy since I just marked where it crossed the centerline. Getting the line for the top was harder and I basically just eyeballed it with a square. Everything will get glued together with thickened epoxy, so filling gaps won’t be too big a deal.

I taped the coaming together to get an idea of how it’ll look.

There’s no way to clamp the coaming down for gluing, so I drove a screw up from underneath. Getting in there with a screwdriver was an absolute nightmare. I also tapered the top edge down and rounded the corner. I can plane off more once it’s glued on if I think it needs it.

Here it is all glued down and filleted. Once the glue kicked off, I removed the screws from underneath. It was even more trouble getting them out than it was to get them in.

Getting a nice even fillet along the front of the coaming was a bit tough. But it looked fine after adding three coats of epoxy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.