Spring is coming so it’s high time to get the boat ready. I’ve built a new mast partner out of aluminum which is currently off being powder coated coated green. You can see more pictures of building it here.
I’ve also repaired the splits in the mast which happened at the same time my mast partner cracked. I kerfed the problem areas with an oscillating saw, saturated the gap with neat epoxy, and then troweled in thickened epoxy until it was full. While I was at it I got the mast closer to round and shortened the snotter cleat to a minimum.
And finally I’ve been busy varnishing. It’s too cold out in the garage so I took over the living room while my wife is out of town. I put 8 coats on the mast and 2 on everything else since the varnish was in pretty good shape. Don’t mind that half finished breakfast nook in the background that my wife wants!
There’s still quite a bit to do on the hull, but I need to have warmer weather to do some epoxying and painting. I need to:
- Over drill all the fitting holes and fill with epoxy before redrilling for the fasteners
- Rebed all the fittings
- Install the mast partner
- Epoxy a pad on the centerboard case for a snotter cleat
- Epoxy ledgers to the thwarts for side benches
- Make side benches
- Paint everything
- The keel is getting a little chewed up from the trailer rollers
- Build a flat bed on the trailer so the keel is supported better
- Repack the trailer bearings
- Possibly lower the spring weight on the trailer.
A lot to do!
Recently my wife and I went on a week vacation down to Hatteras on the Outer Banks. I took my boat along with some grand ideas for sailing adventures, but it just didn’t work out. Most days had thunderstorms and rain, and the one day that was clear we changed locations since our neighbors were loud. At the second location I had to park my boat outside and with all the rain we had I probably bailed 50 gallons of water out every day. I also learned that the hatches aren’t totally watertight. I’m sure they’re fine in a capsize, but not with water sitting against the seal all day.
At the end of our vacation I noticed the mast partner had cracked as well as one of the staves in the hollow birdsmouth mast. I had the same problem with the mast partner in 2019 when we went down to Ocracoke, but I attributed it to poor workmanship when I originally built the boat. But now I’m beginning to suspect it has something to do with the wood moving around the incompressible bronze belaying pins. I usually keep the boat garaged and I’ve seen no evidence of cracks all summer and I’ve had the boat out in some rough weather.
The mast partner is a lamination of two 3/4″ yellow pine boards with a layer of 6oz fiberglass in between. The grain is fairly large and the fiberglass is along the neutral axis so it’s really not doing much. Either way, I’m not going to try repairing it again since it’s clear the materials aren’t up to the task.
I do metalworking for a living, so I’m planning to TIG weld up a new partner from aluminum and have it powder coated. Maybe green, maybe white… not sure yet. It’ll have four belaying pins welded on and possibly an integral bullseye for the snotter so I can run it back to the cockpit. I think it’ll have threaded studs welded on that go through the bulkhead to be secured with nuts and a backing plate. And I’ll probably mill a shallow groove all around for a wad of butyl tape to keep the water out.
I’m done messing around with dead tree carcass! haha
I’ve finally gotten around to painting the name on the transom, it’s only been just over a year! I’ve had the name picked out since before I finished building her, but I’ve spent my free time building and improving the more practical things on the boat.
Another improvement I’ve made is a 316 stainless steel catch and protective pad to hold the centerboard in the up position. I welded it from some 3/16″ x 1″ flat bar and 1/4″ round bar. I countersunk the mounting holes on both sides, one for the #8 screws and the other side for a wad of butyl tape. Previously I looped the line on the handle around the centerboard pivot bolt which was awkward at best.
Today I epoxied two new belaying pins to the mast partner. This should help clear up the tangle of lines I currently have up there. http://sailingmoga.com/belaying-pins/
Epoxying in the two new belaying pins
Sailing weather is coming soon and I’ve been working on some improvements to the boat. I reshaped and leathered the boom/boom jaw connection so it doesn’t chip the varnish off the mast. I also added a little hook to the mast to keep the snotter from sliding down which puts a diagonal crease in the sail. http://sailingmoga.com/spars/
With the boom fixed, I tested the brail line to see how well it works. It’s ok, but there’s still room for improvement. http://sailingmoga.com/brail/
I’ve also been busy varnishing the brightwork and painting over the chips in the paint job. Exterior latex was a bad choice… Someday I need to figure out how to get it all off and redo it with some epoxy paint or something more substantial.
Today I added a page about my experiments with adding a brail line to the sail. I’ve also added a section to the menu at the top for some of the finer details of the boat. This will house pages for stuff that’s a little more specific and in depth than the stuff in the building drop down.