A few weeks ago my wife and I took the boat out to a sand bar on the eastern end of Gwynn’s Island for a beach day. The trip was only 6 miles, but we had a great day on the sand and some excitement on the way home. It was a good test for my homemade anchor in light and flukey winds.
A few weeks ago I took my boat out from Windmill Point at the Rappahannock River. I planned to go north and explore Fleet’s Bay, but changed my mind and went where the wind blew. I went 26.2 miles in 5.5 hours with an average speed of 4.8mph and a max of 7.8mph.
Yesterday I took my boat out from a boat ramp on Carter’s Creek in Irvington to two islands in the Rappahannock River. I went 20.5 miles in 6 hours with an average speed of 3.4mph and a max of 7.3mph.
Last week I took my boat out from the public boat ramp on the East River in Mathews to the New Point Comfort lighthouse in the Chesapeake Bay. I went 23.2 miles in exactly 5 hours with an average speed of 4.6 mph and a max of 8.1 mph.
Yesterday I took my boat out from Gwynn’s Island to Wolf Trap Light in the Chesapeake Bay. I went 21.1 miles in 5.5 hours with an average speed of 3.9 mph and a max of 6.8 mph.
Another improvement I’ve made is a 316 stainless steel catch and protective pad to hold the centerboard in the up position. I welded it from some 3/16″ x 1″ flat bar and 1/4″ round bar. I countersunk the mounting holes on both sides, one for the #8 screws and the other side for a wad of butyl tape. Previously I looped the line on the handle around the centerboard pivot bolt which was awkward at best.
Today I epoxied two new belaying pins to the mast partner. This should help clear up the tangle of lines I currently have up there. https://sailingmoga.com/belaying-pins/
A few days ago I took my boat out for the first sail of 2020. I’ve made a number of improvements and wanted to give them a test, so I set out from the public boat ramp on Gwynn’s Island. Here’s my writeup of the trip: https://sailingmoga.com/gwynns-island-2020/
Sailing weather is coming soon and I’ve been working on some improvements to the boat. I reshaped and leathered the boom/boom jaw connection so it doesn’t chip the varnish off the mast. I also added a little hook to the mast to keep the snotter from sliding down which puts a diagonal crease in the sail. https://sailingmoga.com/spars/
With the boom fixed, I tested the brail line to see how well it works. It’s ok, but there’s still room for improvement. https://sailingmoga.com/brail/
I’ve also been busy varnishing the brightwork and painting over the chips in the paint job. Exterior latex was a bad choice… Someday I need to figure out how to get it all off and redo it with some epoxy paint or something more substantial.
Today I added a page about my experiments with adding a brail line to the sail. I’ve also added a section to the menu at the top for some of the finer details of the boat. This will house pages for stuff that’s a little more specific and in depth than the stuff in the building drop down.